Friday, August 19, 2005

Youth Rights

As of late, I have been quite busy. I am sincerely sorry for the non-existent posts in the previous few days.

Moving on......

A few months back, I found an excellent website for a cause that I believe in. I found the National Youth Rights Association's (NYRA) website. Before this past school years end, I had to do a debate report for my english class. My topic was lowering the drinking age and I was definetly for it. After researching the issue, it strengthened my position for it. One of the biggest reasons that got me was:

An 18 year old has almost every conceivable right as an adult such as marriage, voting, signing contracts, buying cigarettes, serving in the military, and etc; why can they not buy alcohol?

Here is a quote I found on the quote page of the NYRA website:

"Whether children have first amendment rights is a vexed legal
question, but what is not in question is that they someday will.
Constraining them from expressing their views is no preparation
for exercising those rights."
-Crispin Sartwell

I believe that quote to be very true. In my opinion, this is a great organization, movement, and cause.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Great to see another youth rights acivist.

I'm the president of one of NYRA's chapters, but I'm all the way in the west.

Still though, man, keep up with the posts, and uh...visit our website! :D